14 Nov Associate Curator of Education and Community Engagement
Located in the heart of Morristown, New Jersey’s Historic District, Macculloch Hall Historical Museum (MHHM), accredited by the American Alliance of Museums, welcomes more than 10,000 learners of all ages and abilities annually to experience everyday American history where it happened.
MHHM is seeking an Associate Curator of Education and Community Engagement who will support the museum’s mission by further developing and implementing an array of innovative educational programs for preschool and K-12 students, adults, and people with disabilities in partnership with MHHM’s more than 20 community partners.
The ideal candidate for the position of Associate Curator of Education and Community Engagement will work to engage learners of all ages and learning styles with everyday American history as it is interpreted at MHHM and communicate openly and effectively with the community to continue to build dynamic programming in response to community needs and wants, in support of MHHM’s mission. This position is a key member of MHHM’s dedicated four-person team. This full-time position reports directly to the Executive Director and works regularly with the F.M. Kirby Curator of Collections and the Operations Coordinator.
- Manage current schedule of innovative age and developmentally appropriate programming for diverse learners of all ages and styles.
- Evaluate current program effectiveness.
- Plan and execute annually an event celebrating National Public Gardens Day (May).
- Attendance at and acting as an ambassador and spokesperson for MHHM’s educational programs at offsite community events.
- Train and manage summer Education student interns (from high schools and local universities) and Education volunteers from the community; manage a team of two contract teaching artists.
- Participate actively in institutional planning and evaluation with other staff and Board.
- Maintain current community partnerships while building new partnerships in support of MHHM’s mission and goals and community needs; maintain regular open communication with relevant stakeholders to understand needs to develop enriching programs to support them.
- Lead hands-on, interactive tours of MHHM for learners of all ages and learning styles.
- Work with the Operations Coordinator to implement program registration and promotion through social media and direct mail channels and maintain statistics on program participation.
The salary range for this position is $40,000-$45,000 evaluated commensurate with experience. MHHM provides a comprehensive benefit package for full-time employees including a Simple IRA plan with an annual 2% of total salary employer match, health insurance, paid time off, and support for professional development annually.
Weekly schedule is 40 hours per week, Tuesday through Saturday. Occasional evening work required. Onsite with travel in personal vehicle to offsite for programming and community engagement events.
MHHM is an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) employer and does not discriminate under federal or state law, on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability (mental or physical), genetic information (including family medical history), or veteran status. MHHM’s full Public History Practice statement is available online: https://maccullochhall.org/about-us/.
About Macculloch Hall Historical Museum (MHHM)
Established in 1950 as Morristown’s community museum by W. Parsons Todd (1877-1976), MHHM preserves and interprets its historic house and gardens, unparalleled collection of the work of political cartoonist Thomas Nast (1840-1902), fine and decorative arts collections and Macculloch family archives, inspiring visitors to experience everyday American history where it happened. The museum’s unique historic setting, its period rooms and professional galleries excite and educate visitors of all ages, connecting present to past in a dynamic cultural environment. On site, online and through outreach, MHHM serves local, state, national and international communities.
MHHM employs a dynamic staff of four full-time professionals and has an annual operating budget of less than $750,000 (including capital improvements). The museum is supported by a dedicated 11-member volunteer board of trustees and more than 20 volunteers yearly.
MHHM receives annual general operating support from the W. Parsons Todd Foundation, the New Jersey Historical Commission, a division of the Department of State, the F.M. Kirby Foundation, the Mimi Washington Starrett Foundation, and New Jersey Arts and Culture Renewal Fund at the Princeton Area Community Foundation and program support from The Astle-Alpaugh Family Foundation, the New Jersey Council for the Humanities, a state partner of the National Endowment for the Humanities, The Blue Foundry Charitable Foundation, and the Garden Club of Morristown. Additional annual support comes from our generous members and individual donors.
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in a museum education setting.
- Team player who values working with colleagues, embraces being a dynamic part of a small staff and who can also work well independently.
- Experience, comfort, and demonstrated success working with diverse, intergenerational audiences.
- Experience managing a small, dedicated Education team.
- Excellent written and oral communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- Set up and breakdown of offsite programming.
- Valid NJ driver’s license and car; mileage to offsite programming reimbursed at current federal rate.
- English/Spanish bilingual
- MA museum education or equivalent
- $40,000-$45,000 evaluated commensurate with experience
Please visit https://maccullochhall.org/employment-opportunities to complete the application form, upload resume and cover letter outlining interest by November 15, 2023.
- Macculloch Hall Historical Museum
- 45 Macculloch Avenue
- Carly Cheponis