16 Jul Visitor Experience Host (Part-Time, Seasonal)
Little Island is a beautiful, welcoming and unique public park located in Hudson River Park at 13th/14th St. Little Island invites all New Yorkers and visitors to experience a new public space that is designed to inspire imagination and creativity and provide visitors of all ages with a one-of-a-kind relationship with nature and art.
Visitor Experience Host (Part-Time, Seasonal)
Little Island seeks several outgoing and energetic Visitor Experience Hosts as it builds its inaugural Visitor Experience Host team. The ideal team will be composed of dynamic and accountable individuals with excellent interpersonal, communication, and collaboration skills. They will serve as the primary Little Island representatives for the public, cultivating a dynamic and memorable experience for all park visitors. Candidates who can converse in multiple languages (including but not limited to Spanish, Mandarin, American Sign Language, etc.) are encouraged to apply.
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis, with Hosts starting as needed throughout the season. Currently, we are prioritizing candidates who are available to work weekends and late evenings.
Visitors and Programs
- Play a key role in fostering a hospitable, welcoming and inclusive environment for all visitors on Little Island by: Proactively welcoming visitors and providing park information 2. Authentically engaging with visitors, asking questions and providing support as necessary in service of building meaningful connections 3. Understanding Little Island’s programming and schedule of events and sharing information and opportunities to engage with the art
- Know and communicate basic knowledge about Little Island, including park access points, park rules, background and historical information, and performance and programming details
- Traverse the park individually in defined zones as assigned by the Visitor Experience Supervisors to support visitors as well as park activities and conditions
- Record and mitigate conflict when appropriate
- Set up, breakdown and assist as needed with park programs, recreational events and other organizational initiatives. These responsibilities include and are not limited to; checking in guests, setting up stanchions and queues, monitoring flow and capacity, informing visitors about what is taking place, and actively engaging visitors to participate
- Act as house staff for amphitheater events, checking tickets, helping visitors find their seats, and ensuring visibility to provide support or information as needed
Safety and Park Care
- Track and manage visitation levels as outlined by the Visitor Experience department in service of ensuring a safe experience for all visitors, particularly as it relates to COVID-19 protocols, crowd management, and the overall visitor experience
- Demonstrate judgement on when to contact security or a Visitor Experience Supervisor when assistance is needed, or in case of an emergency
- Record and submit visitation data and incident reports
- Assist in the opening of the park each morning, as well as communicate the closing of the park each night by directing visitors to exit the park and locking gates
- Participate in fire guard and safety training to perform essential safety-related responsibilities
- Aid in early park closures due to severe weather, and participate in snow and ice removal
What to Expect
- Little Island will be open year-round, from 6am-1am daily.
- Little Island has 3 distinct performances spaces hosting a wide variety of artistic programs throughout the season including a 700-seat amphitheater
- Park employees will work evenings, weekends, and holidays as needed.
- Park employees will spend time onsite at Little Island, navigating the entire park and interacting with park visitors to ensure operations are running effectively. Little Island is ADA compliant, and park employees are committed to fostering an inclusive environment for each other and our park’s visitors.
- Little Island’s Headquarters, located near the park, provides an open floor plan office, shared work areas and kitchen, a locker room, rehearsal space, and storage for the park. It is a dynamic and multi-use space where employees and artists can collaborate, connect, and unwind in between shifts, meetings and events.
- Little Island is opening its park for all New Yorkers in the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic. All park employees are expected to actively participate in our communal commitment to employee safety and health and all related employee policies, which are reinforced with our current employees often and will be shared throughout the interview process.
What You Bring
- A passion for customer service and hospitality
- Excellent communication skills are essential
- Patience, adaptability and the ability to remain calm in stressful situations is key
- Experience prioritizing safety and an excellent standard of care
- Enthusiasm for public space and familiarity with working outdoors both independently and with a team outside in a park setting; experience working in a public or outdoor space a plus
- The ability to transport or lift park equipment ranging from 30-60 lbs., as well as the set-up and breakdown of materials and equipment, is not required of everyone on the team but some Hosts will need to complete these tasks
- Willingness and flexibility to accommodate dynamic and evolving scheduling needs, including but not limited to early mornings, late evenings, and on-call shifts
- Comfort conversing in multiple languages a plus
- Eligibility to work in the US
How to Apply
Visit our website http://www.littleisland.org/employment to submit your application via Submittable. Please note that you will have to make a Submittable account. If you require reasonable accommodation in completing this application, interviewing, or otherwise participating in the employee selection process, please let us know at email@example.com
Little Island is a proud equal opportunity employer and considers applicants for all positions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, familial or veteran status, sexual orientation, or any other legally protected status.
- Arts Organization | Performing Arts | Other
- Visitor Services
- Little Island
- 872 Washington St 3rd Flr
- New York City
- New York
- Rachel Lee