03 Jun Special Events Associate
The Studio Museum in Harlem is the nexus for artists of African descent locally, nationally and internationally and for work that has been inspired and influenced by black culture. It is a site for the dynamic exchange of ideas about art and society. The Studio Museum in Harlem was founded in 1968 by a diverse group of artists, community activists and philanthropists who envisioned a new kind of museum that not only displays artwork but also supports artists and arts education. In celebration of its 50th anniversary in 2018, the Museum has bolstered its programming and fundraising to honor the occasion and is actively working on the institution’s vital next chapter, which includes utilizing community spaces and resources through the inHarlem initiative, as the Studio Museum awaits its new home being built on its current site.
The successful candidate will be a consummate professional who will support the Museum’s two high-profile and highly regarded annual fundraisers which raise approximately $2 million each year and are managed in-house. In addition, the role will support multiple and varied Institutional Advancement cultivation and stewardship events throughout the year, as well as other internal activities.
The Special Events Associate supports all Studio Museum’s special events and also supports Development with major gift and campaign cultivation events. S/He provides comprehensive support to the Special Events Manager and handles all administrative activities for the team.
- Assist in the coordination of annual fundraising events, including the Fall Gala and the Spring Luncheon and other fundraising events that management establishes;
- Support the execution of Development cultivation events, onsite and off, in coordination with other Development Department colleagues.
- Support the Special Events Manager with exhibition openings, corporate and cultivation events and other institutional events as scheduled.
- Support Director of Institutional Advancement and Special Events Manager with communications with Volunteer Leadership; including coordinating meetings to generate ideas and identify new event prospects;
- In coordination with Special Events Manager and the Communications department, manage the design, copy and production deadlines for event collaterals including invitations (electronic and hardcopy), program, signage, etc.
- In coordination with Database Manager, maintain accurate mailing lists and design segmented strategy for all outreach; also ensure that new prospects and contact info is properly uploaded back into the database;
- Develop and execute with key staff follow-up communications including donor acknowledgments, cultivation materials, and other collateral;
- Develop and maintain event timelines and task lists;
- Manage related budgets; prepare check requests, invoices, etc.;
- Compile and maintain seating plans; interface with donor database;
- Recruit and manage event volunteers as needed;
- Assist with the development and implementation of strategies to grow corporate membership and rentals;
- Prepare progress and summary reports for senior staff.
- Organizational and planning skills; attention to detail
- Communication skills
- Professional dress and demeanor
SALARY RANGE: Salary will be commensurate with experience, skills and knowledge.
- Bachelor's Degree,
- 3+ years of event management experience, preferably in a cultural organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and impeccable follow-up
- Some evening/morning/weekends required.
- Superior organizational skills, accuracy and precision in handling timelines and details
- Ability to prioritize and work in a fast-paced environment and to juggle multiple projects
- Computer proficiency with Microsoft Office programs and database management systems such as Raiser's Edge and Social Tables. Advanced Excel preferred.
- : Send cover letter and resume to: email@example.com. No phone calls or faxes, please.
- : Full-time
- : Museum
- : Other
- : The Studio Museum in Harlem
- 144 W. 125th Street
- New York
- New York
- : firstname.lastname@example.org