04 Aug Programs Assistant
Programs Assistant, Brooklyn Arts Council
Reports to: Programs and Strategy Director
Classification: Non-exempt, Full Time
Location: Hybrid work schedule with minimum 2 days per week in-person out of our office space in DUMBO
Celebrating more than 50 years of service, historically Brooklyn Arts Council (BAC) is the borough’s leading nonprofit organization supporting artists and cultural groups in all disciplines. Working through the pandemic to act responsively and nimbly to the emerging needs of our community, BAC is committed to serving the arts ecosystem through grants, professional development, cultural heritage programming, and arts education provided via distance learning. By creating and supporting cultural events and platforms for Brooklynites, BAC provides forums for critical thinking and self-expression, enriches Brooklyn’s cultural landscape, and generates experiences that expand horizons.
Our number one priority is the health and safety of our staff and their families, our artists, and the communities we serve. Proof of full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. If you are unable to be vaccinated for medical reasons or religious beliefs, we will consider requests for reasonable accommodation consistent with our policy, and where we are able to provide such accommodations without undue hardship to the company pursuant to applicable law.
Brooklyn Arts Council strives to a foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace where our employees and volunteers – whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education, or ability – feel valued and respected.
We are committed to being a nondiscriminatory organization that provides equal opportunity for employment and advancement in our programs and at our worksites. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages, and work to ensure that all voices are valued and heard. We are committed to modeling diversity and inclusion for the arts community in Brooklyn, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all. Brooklyn Arts Council prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
We are looking for a Programs Assistant to support BAC’s public and artist service programs, including the Brooklyn Innovation Institute, which aim to enrich the cultural life of the borough by allocating public funds and resources to Brooklyn’s artists and arts organizations. The Programs Assistant is a driven, creative administrator with superior attention to detail and strong communication and project management skills. This is a public-facing position that requires being responsive to the needs of multiple stakeholders, an interest in cultural policy, community engagement and a passion for supporting artists and arts organizations. Candidates should be interested in the dynamic opportunities and responsibilities that come with distributing public funds.
The Programs Associate will work closely with the Programs and Strategy Director, and collaborate with BAC staff, program interns, and volunteers, as applicable.
Scope of work
- Support program development and implementation from ideation to production, contributing to research, content curation, facilitation and moderation of BAC public programs
- Act as outreach and engagement liaison with community partners, organizations and artists
- Support web and content production including branding assets and closed captioning for digital delivery and online programs via Zoom, Streamyard, Hopin, Instagram Live, and Facebook Live
- Support Brooklyn Arts Council grantmaking, including technical assistance, information session prep and panel administration as required
- Support Programs department database management using Salesforce and Submittable
- Processing payments for program participants in collaboration with the Operations Manager and BAC’s bookkeeping partner, Arts Pool
- Other administrative duties as required
- Service-minded: open, patient, communicative, and passionate about the necessity of engaging populations of varying cultures
- Experience and interest in working with community organizations & facilitating partnerships
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office Suite and proficiency in Excel
- Experience using Salesforce, Submittable and project management tools such as Asana to improve workflow and collaboration
- Interest and experience in audio/video production
- Detail oriented, strong communicator, compassionate individual
Send resume and cover letter explaining your interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Programs Assistant” in the subject line.
- Arts Organization
- Public Programs
- Brooklyn Arts Council
- 20 Jay Street