19 Nov NA Affairds Manager
NATIONAL ACADEMICIAN (NA) AFFAIRS MANAGER
ABOUT THE ACADEMY
Founded in 1825, the National Academy of Design promotes art and architecture in America. As the leading honorary society for visual artists and architects in the United States, we advocate for the arts as a tool for education, celebrate the role of artists and architects in public life, and serve as a catalyst for cultural conversations that propel society forward.
As we look ahead to our 200th anniversary in 2025, the National Academy of Design is at an especially exciting moment of reinvention and possibility. Following the sale of its buildings on the Upper East Side, and the subsequent creation of a board-restricted endowment, the National Academy is developing a vibrant schedule of exhibitions and programs that builds on the Academy’s extraordinary history to explore critical issues in contemporary art, architecture, and culture. At the core of our mission are the National Academicians, a vibrant community of 450 artists and architects elected by their peers in recognition of their extraordinary contributions to art and architecture in America.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The National Academy of Design seeks an energetic, creative, and strategic-thinking NA Affairs Manager to join a small, experienced team during an exciting transitional time. This full-time position works closely with the artist and architect membership of National Academicians, overseeing all administrative and operational aspects. Reporting to and working closely with the Chief Curator, the NA Affairs Manager organizes the nomination and election of new National Academicians, serves as the primary point of contact and liaison for National Academicians, and works with the Membership Committee to shape new initiatives and projects. Further, the position acts as the project manager for the annual Induction Ceremony honoring newly elected artist and architect members of the Academy, and plans and executes membership meetings throughout the year.
- Help administer elections by receiving, organizing, and distributing nominee materials; spearhead voting outreach and monitor vote counts; assist NAs with all nomination and election matters
- Work with Chief Curator, Executive Director, and others to produce annual new member Induction ceremony and celebration: collect and manage artist materials and videos; liaise with videographers and editors; coordinate print and electronic collateral; oversee event logistics and vendors
- Assist in onboarding of incoming classes of National Academicians
- Serve as primary contact for National Academicians on all membership matters
- Coordinate meetings of the full membership as well as those of the membership committee, including organizing logistics such as A/V and staffing; managing RSVPs; serving as a point person during the meeting; and drafting agendas, meeting minutes, and summaries
- Create and manage a calendar of membership events and meetings • Conduct ongoing research into alternative voting platforms and methods for future elections; implement and troubleshoot voting platforms and methods
- Manage all print and electronic mailings related to NA Affairs
- Update in real-time NA lists in Salesforce and other software; keep track of external events related to National Academicians (exhibitions, books, talks, etc.) • Serve as administrator and generate content for NA-only Facebook group
- Provide a warm and professional face for the organization and for the membership •Coordinate other administrative elements of NA activities as needed
The salary for this position is $65,000 and includes an excellent, comprehensive benefits package.
- 3-5 years of experience in nonprofit programming, arts and cultural organizations, or other related experience
- Exceptional project-management and event coordination skills
- Experience with database management
- Comfortable learning new technologies / applications related to community engagement and voting systems
- Creative and intelligent use of social media platforms for Academician engagement • A genuine interest in working with artists and architects, the arts, and membership engagement
- Ability to adapt to an evolving department and organization
- Discretion, tact, and a can-do attitude
- Ability to communicate with the many different constituencies involved with the National Academy, as well as with representatives of comparable professional organizations across the world
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Please submit a résumé and 1-page cover letter, combined in one PDF titled “Last Name_NA AFFAIRS MANAGER,” via email to email@example.com. Please include NA Affairs Manager in the subject line. No phone calls please.
The National Academy of Design is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color, and gender nonconforming candidates to apply. The National Academy of Design is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, gender identification, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or political affiliation.
- Volunteer | Full-time
- Museum | Arts Organization
- National Academy of Design
- 15 Gramercy Park South
- New York