16 Aug Development and External Affairs Assistant
Reports to: Development & External Affairs Director, with sub-report to Communications Manager
Classification: Non-exempt. This is an 80% full-time position at 28 hours per week (M-Th) through the COVID-19 pandemic, with the possibility (though no guarantee) to move to 100% (35 hours) should conditions improve after January 2021.
Salary: $30,400/year at 80% (based on $38,000 at 100%), plus any available NYS Shared Work program benefits, depending on eligibility of candidate.
Position includes a comprehensive benefits package featuring a selection of Health, Dental and Vision plans, Health Advocate, Employee Assistance Program, and Employee Perks. Voluntary supplementary benefits include Flexible Spending (Health Care Flexible Spending, Transit Benefits, and Dependent Care), AD&D Insurance, Short- and Long-Term Disability, Accident Benefits, Legal Services, and Identity Theft. BAC also offers up to 34 days of paid time off.
About Brooklyn Arts Council:
Celebrating more than 50 years of service, historically Brooklyn Arts Council (BAC) is the borough’s leading nonprofit organization supporting artists and cultural groups in all disciplines. Working through the pandemic to act responsively and nimbly to the emerging needs of our community, BAC remains committed to serving the arts ecosystem through grants, professional development, folk arts programming, and arts education provided via distance learning. By creating and supporting cultural events and platforms for Brooklynites, BAC provides forums for critical thinking and self-expression, enriches Brooklyn’s cultural landscape, and generates experiences that expand horizons.
Brooklyn Arts Council strives to a foster a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace where our employees and volunteers – whatever their gender, race, ethnicity, national origin, age, sexual orientation or identity, education, or ability – feel valued and respected.
We are committed to being a nondiscriminatory organization that provides equal opportunity for employment and advancement in our programs and at our worksites. We respect and value diverse life experiences and heritages, and work to ensure that all voices are valued and heard. We are committed to modeling diversity and inclusion for the arts community in Brooklyn, and to maintaining an inclusive environment with equitable treatment for all.
Brooklyn Arts Council prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status.
A key member of the Development & External Affairs team, the Development & External Affairs Assistant will work collaboratively and creatively to increase awareness and support for the arts in Brooklyn. This is an excellent opportunity to play an integral role in developing BAC’s audience and donor base, and to be part of a hardworking team of creative and talented arts professionals who are dedicated to helping and sustaining Brooklyn’s cultural sector. The role includes responsibilities around donor tracking and acknowledgement (including database management); donor engagement such as board communications and special events planning and execution (including virtual); supporting website, social media, virtual programs, and email communications platforms; solicitation and stewardship of sponsors and in-kind donors; and other areas pertaining to donor and audience cultivation and communications. The ideal candidate possesses an eagle-eyed attention to detail; proven ability to multi-task and work independently; strong communication skills, including comfort speaking with donors and board members; sensitivity in navigating departmental intersections through the focused lens of an organizational mission; excellent organization and prioritization abilities; and a willingness to roll up their sleeves.
Reporting to the Director of Development & External Affairs, as well as supporting the Communications Manager, the Development & External Affairs Assistant works to:
- Lead ongoing training and maintenance of Salesforce database and act as point person for office-wide Salesforce administration and support.
- Track and acknowledge all donations and related communications; maintain data in Salesforce.
- Assist in planning and implementing BAC fundraising and special events including virtual events as well as – when we return to “normal” – exhibitions, ceremonies, boutique events, and our annual gala fundraiser and affordable art sale; taking the lead on artist and donor communications related to such events.
- Research and lead outreach to prospective sponsors and in-kind donors.
- Provide administrative support for liaising with board members, individual donors, government offices, and corporate partners.
- Support marketing of BAC programs/events and artist features, including design for related digital and print collateral. Work closely with Communications Manager and Program Manager to execute real-world and virtual programming, specifically graphic design assets.
- Collaborate with Communications Manager to coordinate direct communications, including BAC’s E-News and News & Opportunities newsletters; support graphic design on these projects.
- Ensure staff and grantees adhere to brand kit specs in their public messaging and visual design.
- Assist with/support Communications Manager on online/social media management (Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Flickr, Vimeo, YouTube), with a focus on blog and social media posts about individual artists and BAC’s ongoing programs.
- Collaborate with Communications Manager and Program Manager to schedule, produce, execute, and supervise Brooklyn Arts Council’s virtual programs.
- Participate in management, updating, and maintenance of BAC website and digital asset collection.
- Participate in bi-weekly to monthly meetings with Communications Manager and Program Manager to calendar and brainstorm collateral and messaging for future events.
- Undertake other tasks/projects as needed.
Desired Skills & Expertise:At least two years of experience within a cultural organization or similar entity, including communicating and interfacing with the public.Strong project management skills with a demonstrated ability to deliver results in a small organization with limited resources.Excellent writing, editing, and communication skills as well as an eye for design.Superior attention to detail, interpersonal skills, patience, and sense of humor.Ability to work independently, multi-task, and adjust priorities as competing projects vie for attention; as well as to seek help from supervisors when needed to complete tasks.Background, expertise, and strong interest in database administration; familiarity with Salesforce strongly preferred.Proficiency with Microsoft Office including Outlook, Word, and Excel. Familiarity with web-based special events and auction platforms a plus.Knowledge of web content management systems and HTML, as well as proficiency in MS Office; experience with Adobe Creative Suite (specifically InDesign and Photoshop), or willingness to learn all of the above.Strong appreciation of and interest in the arts and knowledge of Brooklyn.College degree or equivalent life experience preferred.Work Expectations:This is a full-time equivalent position (currently at 80% FT) with an integral role in the life of the organization and contact with donors, artists, and members of the press, as well as outside contractors and vendors. We are currently working remotely with the option to go to our DUMBO office as needed under CDC-compliant conditions. Beyond the pandemic, occasional evening work will likely become part of the job whenever large gatherings become possible again.
To Apply:Send resume and cover letter explaining your interest in this position to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Development & External Affairs Assistant” in the subject line.
- Arts Organization
- Brooklyn Arts Council
- 20 Jay Street, Suite 616
- New York
- Edgardo Rivera