03 May Communications Manager
POSITION AVAILABLE: COMMUNICATIONS MANAGER
ABOUT THE NATIONAL ACADEMY OF DESIGN
Founded in 1825, the National Academy of Design promotes art and architecture in America through exhibition and instruction. As the leading honorary society for visual artists and architects in the United States, we advocate for the arts as a tool for education, celebrate the role of artists and architects in public life, and serve as a catalyst for cultural conversations that propel society forward.
As it looks ahead to its 200th anniversary in 2025, the National Academy of Design is at an especially exciting moment of reinvention and possibility. Following the sale of its buildings on New York’s Museum Mile, and the subsequent creation of a board-restricted endowment, the National Academy is refocusing on the artists and architects who are at the core of its mission, and developing a vibrant schedule of exhibitions and programs that builds on the Academy’s extraordinary history to explore critical issues in contemporary art, architecture, and culture.
ABOUT THE POSITION
The National Academy of Design is seeking a Communications Manager to join its growing staff. Reporting to the Director of Development, the Communications Manager will help develop and implement a comprehensive and imaginative communications strategy, oversee day-to-day organizational communications, marketing initiatives, social media, and act as the main point of contact with an outside strategic communications firm. The ideal candidate will have proven experience of writing persuasive, engaging content for a variety of audiences, excellent time-management and organizational skills, and a collaborative and proactive approach to their work. This is a full-time position, currently remote, but expected to return to in-office work sometime this year.
The responsibilities of the Communications Manager will include:
- Work with the Executive Director, development staff, and an outside strategic communications firm to develop a communications strategy with clear performance metrics;
- Manage organizational design projects such as the new website, collateral material, and catalogues;
- Work with organizational leadership and the development and program departments to devise organization-wide and project-specific communications plans that help achieve our mission;
- Manage, produce, and evaluate the performance of social media content across Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, etc, as well as a weekly newsletter;
- Lead the revision and standardization of existing web content; propose and develop new pages;
- Develop creative initiatives and campaigns to reach new audiences and engage existing followers, and stay up to date with changing social media technologies;
- Partner with colleagues to develop internal National Academician member communications;
- Help pitch and write articles for relevant media outlets that expand the audience for our mission, work, and thought leadership;
- Build a schedule of mission-driven content for front page of website and social media platforms;
- Serve as the organization’s primary media contact, developing and maintaining all press relationships; serve as the organization’s external voice by answering public inquiries;
- Be an active and engaged member of the staff, participating in organization-wide initiatives such as strategic and vision planning, DEAI planning, and the occasional team-building activity.
- At least five years of professional marketing and communications experience, preferably in the arts, nonprofit, or social enterprise sectors;
- Outstanding writing, editing, and communications skills across a variety of styles and formats (e.g. proposals, blog post, op-eds, reports);
- Capacity to produce compelling content quickly and consistently, while managing multiple deadlines;
- A balance of creative thinking and strong organizational skills;
- Thrives in a collaborative, tight-knit, remote office setting, with a proven track record of working across departments to achieve organizational goals;
- Demonstrable knowledge of evaluating user behavior to enhance audience reach and engagement on social media, websites, and newsletters;
- Proficiency with Adobe InDesign, online content management systems, and social media management platforms;
- Solid general computer skills; experience with G-Suite, Slack, Asana, and Salesforce preferred;
- A professional, courteous manner, positive attitude, and a commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion, and the adherence to our mission and vision are required.
The salary range is between $60,000 and $70,000 and is commensurate with experience and abilities, and includes an excellent, comprehensive benefits package.
The National Academy of Design is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. We strongly encourage women, veterans, people with disabilities, people of color, and gender nonconforming candidates to apply. The National Academy of Design is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, sex, age, gender identification, national origin, creed, disability, marital status, sexual orientation or political affiliation.
Please submit a résumé, a writing sample, and 1-page cover letter, combined in one PDF named “Last Name_Communications Manager,” via email to email@example.com. Please include Communications Manager in the subject line. No phone calls please.
- Arts Organization
- National Academy of Design
- 15 Gramercy Park S
- New York
- New York